Type CE Blackbody
Type CE Blackbody is a water-based, high-emissivity Cerium Oxide (CeO2) coating that has the good thermodynamic stability of Rare Earth Oxides (REOs) and forms 90% CeO2 after outgassing at 500-600 C. The Type CE Blackbody coating has very good chemical and erosion resistance, and is designed for ceramic and refractory substrates. A conservative upper use limit for the coating is 1500 C (2732 F). See our US Patent 6,007,873 on CeO2 for a high emissivity coating.
$64.00 – $242.00
- Yields 90% CeO2 on heating over 600 C
- High emissivity: >= 0.9 from 1000 C to >=1500 C
- Expected non-reactive with most materials
- Good chemical/erosion resistance
- Low thermal conductivity** and electrical conductivity
- Water-based, easy to use like house paint
**Kiichi Suzuki et al., “Thermal and Mechanical Properties of CeO2,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 102 , 1994-2008 (2019). Note: see Figure 9.
- Whenever a high-emissivity/blackbody coating is required
- Faster heatup/cooldown for furnaces
- Better temperature uniformity
- Interaction barrier coating and release layer